We welcome adult volunteers, as well as college students majoring in art, elementary, middle, secondary education, special education, Spanish, teaching English language learners, psychology, social work, health sciences, or any major if you are interested in helping children or the operation of non-profit agencies.
Here at Second Home Learning Center, the staff and students tremendously value volunteers and are always excited for new, friendly faces and friends! Volunteers are able to give students individual help with reading, math, homework, creative activities or play outside.
Follow these steps in order to volunteer at Second Home Learning Center
- Complete our volunteer application form by clicking HERE
- Once we receive your application, one of our staff members will reach out to you to schedule an orientation time.
- After you attended a volunteer orientation, you can start volunteering as soon as you are available.
Learn a little about Second Home!
Some quick research of the needs of children & families, and poverty in Harrisonburg are always good to look into before volunteering here.
The following materials will be useful for working with children on literacy:
“Where is Second Home?”
Our address is: Muhlenberg Activities Center, 282 E Water Street, Harrisonburg,VA 22801.
Directions: Take Main Street or Mason Street toward downtown Harrisonburg
Turn onto East Market Street, pass Urban Exchange on the right and Burger King on the left. See Muhlenberg Lutheran Church on the right, immediately past it turn into church parking lot. You can park in the church parking lot.
The Muhlenberg Activities Center is the gray stone building behind the church. Entrance is through the glass doors. Our doors are locked, please knock on the door or use the black door bell to let us know you have arrived.
Currently, our specific needs include:
- Art and craft supplies: construction paper, popsicle sticks; pipe cleaners; beads; foam cutout shapes; Ziploc bags (all sizes); washable paint; brushes; color sharpies and dry erase markers, white and color card stock; stickers (plus anything else you may think of).
- Snack supplies: 5oz paper cups, 8oz paper cups, plastic spoons, dessert size paper plates, napkins, Ziploc bags (all sizes).
- Cleaning supplies: Clorox wipes, unscented baby wipes, tissues, paper towels, dish soap, foam liquid hand soap.
- Cash to use towards other items we may need.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us!